Thursday, June 17, 2010

DAM Scandal

As per the story on the Hindustantimes.com a new scandal of dams has been added to existing long list of scandals. The current one is in Uttarakhand where many hydroelectric power projects (HEP) have been sanctioned. Number of Dams will be constructed on Bhagirathi, Alaknanda and Ganga for these HEP projects and these dams will kill the lifeline of Nation our famous River GANGA.

The above mentioned HEP projects will kill the lifeline of Nation river 'Ganga' famous for its religious attachment with peoples of India. Ganga is also very important source of water for big chunk of agricultural land in India and source of water supply for many states. As per the Controller and Auditor General (CAG) reports HEPS projects has been given to the companies who don't have any previous experience of building HEPs and the projects has been distributed in a way that it causes major revenue losses to the government. Also many big questions marks has been raised from environmental point of view for these projects.

Project developers has been favored by permitting them to divert the 90 per cent water of the river to the turbines which leaves only 10 percent for natural flow and in long term will lead to drying of river. The international standard for diversion of river water is maximum 75 percent. Already India has lost one of its famous river Saraswati and another river Yamuna is going through critical stages.

Hindustantimes also reported that government removed its power advisor and Chairman of its Jal Vidyut Nigam, Yogendra Pasadena so that he do not become a obstacle in “irregularities being done by the government”.

The biggest question is how the state and central government has passed all these projects and why the both levels of government did not think that leaving only 10 percent of natural flow in river will affect the agricultural crops and still a big slice of Indian population is dependent on agriculture. We all knows that agricultural production is a major factor in GDP of nation.

WE MUST SAVE OUR NATURAL RESOURCES TO SAVE OUR PLANET. WE ARE ALREADY FACING PROBLEM OF GLOBAL WARMING AND SCARCITY OF WATER.

PLEASE COME FORWARD TO RAISE YOUR VOICE AGAINST ABOVE.