Image via Wikipedia
Ganga is so much polluted due to Inorganic and toxic effluents discharged by industries, cremation of human bodies on banks of rivers and practice of throwing dead bodies, flowers and other articles into river makes it dirty.
The cleanliness drive / plans for river by government has failed. For Ganga river the Ganga Action Plan had been started in 1986 but according to some sources it 39 percent of primary target is reached. Ganga passes through approximately 29 cities and 70 towns and every city and town throw its waste in river while it is industry waste, garbage, sewerage, or any other thing.
Yamuna / Jamuna
Yamuna is currently on verge of disappearance because of extensive flow of industrial waste, sewage, dumping of other waste of cities. The most dangerous threating area for Yamuna starts from Delhi. In previous decades sewage of city is used for agricultural land but as all agriculture land has been occupied for residential purpose so the sewage flows into Yamuna.
As the river drifted into Faridabad its burden of sewage and industrial waste kept on increasing and the spectacular failure of the Yamuna Action Plan began to unfold. Although court had directed the government for cleanness of Yamuna and Yamuna Action Plan had been launched but it is not showing any result and no one is monitoring it. Crores of rupees has been spent in the name of Yamuna cleaning but results are zero.
Steps Required to save Our motherly Rivers
- To make Ganga, Jamuna and other rivers POLLUTION FREE a central empowered committee must be formed on urgent basis which consisting of representatives from Government/Judiciary /NGOs/Local Peoples/Environmentalist/Scientists etc.
- Deforestation in Himalayas
- Eco Friendly tourism
- Time bound Plantation programme near the rivers
- Whenever any dam is created its impact must be analyzed and corrective action should be implemented before the dams start working
- Enforcement of various laws which stops flow of industrial effluents and sewage from cities and towns into rivers
- Continuous Progress Report must be provided to public / Judiciary about cleanness, plantation and action taken against law violators
- Mass awareness campaign against Pollution
- Media must highlight pollution saving tips
- Creation of website for saving rivers
- Political Parties must make pollution a part of their political/election agenda